Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

We've Moved!

Well, we made it through the move this weekend.  Brian and his brother frantically packed up the remaining items in our house on Friday (which was actually quite a lot) - some things were accidentally overlooked like our silverware drawer and our cleaning supplies, but nothing a quick trip back to SF yesterday wasn't able to solve.  On Saturday, Brian and a posse of men (and three Dodge Rams plus a U-Haul trailer) headed into SF to pack up the house.  Keep in mind, Brian has already taken 6 or 7 trips with his truck full of goods over to the new house over the last couple of weeks -yikes!  The move went fairly well, minus some bumps to our freshly painted walls and some scuffs/scratches to a handful of pieces of furniture.  The only casualties we've found thus far?  A ramekin and Riley's dog food bowl (thank goodness for leftover Pottery Barn gift cards to order him a new one!).  We were very fortunate to have so many people help with the move. 

Now, it's on to the photo tour.  On Sunday, I got to move in - woohoo!  My mom took me over here and helped started getting things settled.  She went to the grocery store for us to stock our fridge and then helped with some laundry and unpacking in the kitchen.  I got settled on the couch and tried to think of things I could have people help with.  I'll fill you in more on who did what as I take you through the photo tour.  This is still an "in between" photo tour as we're not unpacked and the place is a disaster at the moment with boxes everywhere, doors not hung, lamps still packed, tables not assembled, etc.  This is our new house 2 days after the move!

Here is our fabulous shower which is awesome so far.  We need to figure out a towel hanging solution as there is no great place for an additional towel bar.  As you can see, my towels are flung over the top.  My mom picked us up a new bathmat at Costco and it's awesome.  The shower doesn't get that hot so our contractor is going to come take a look....he thinks there might be some sort of scald proof setting on it.  Also, the lights need to be enclosed in the cans, but he needs to install shorter bulbs for that to happen.  We're using the vanity light only to shower at the moment.  Hopefully the light and heat things get figured out tomorrow. 
 I love the granite Brian picked out for our bathroom counter.  The toilet is quite nice, too.  We are missing a bulb in the vanity light, but that's on the long list of to do items at the moment.  This room is also going to be painted - same color blue as the laundry room, which you will see shortly.
 Cat and Andra came over on Sunday to help unpack, too and they did a hell of a job.  Talk about unpacking machines!  They unpacked our whole bathroom and organized everything in the vanity and linen closet.  They also unpacked and organized our whole master closet.  So helpful.  Especially with my limited mobility - it's great to not have to sift through boxes looking for this lotion or that hairbrush.  The picture below of the master shows the great blue color that I love, but it also shows what a mess the room is at the moment!  As you can see, the bed is not made and it's set up to be my "workspace" for the day - phones, water bottle, snacks, tray, laptop, etc.  We also need to shift some furniture a few inches here or there, and of course, put closet doors back on!  Knock on wood, but I think we have enough closet space for both of us!
 Brian's mom, my mom, and Brian's aunts helped unpack and organize our kitchen.  It's looking great so far.  I'm so thankful for their work - our kitchen is definitely "usable".  It couldn't have been an easy feat since we have a TON of kitchen supplies.  The stainless appliances came clean after the cleaning people worked on them on Friday, thank God.  We're still missing a few cabinet doors and some of the trim isn't done being painted yet, but that will happen this weekend.  The stools also need their pads put back on and the cabinet on the right needs new glass put on.
 So far, I am in LOVE wit my new washer and dryer.  The clothes smell sooooo clean when they come out.  You might think that's just the detergent, but it's not.  We've used this brand of detergent before in SF and it's not the same.  I'm a fan and I've washed a bunch of baby stuff and our clothes, too.
 Not much going on in the dining room yet - just some random boxes hanging out looking to be unpacked and our new dining room table looking to be assembled.
 Ah yes, the garage.  The garage scares me.  It's such a disaster, I have an anxiety attack just opening the door.  Clearly, lots of stuff in here that needs to be taken to its permanent home - baby furniture, book shelf, more boxes.....also, Gregory's little painting station is still set up as the kitchen cabinets are not done yet (you can see some hanging on the wall if you look closely).
 When I think I'm going to hyperventilate looking at the garage, I look at this photo and it gives me the false feeling that the house is all done.  This is my little neat corner that looks complete.  I'm very pleased with how the cabinets turned out so far.  Some of them need to be shifted and have their hinges swapped out, but overall, I like the way they look and they are bright and clean.
 Here's the living room.  I've been holed up in here if I'm not in the master bedroom.  It's coming along - Comcast came out and we're all set up with TV and internet.  The shutters guy came today, too and we ordered plantation shutters for this huge window compliments of my awesome MIL as a housewarming gift - thank you, Debbie & Mitch!  We just need to rearrange some furniture in here and get the shelves filled and we'll be all set.  My rocking chair came and it's pretty nice!  I'll have to try it out more soon!  You can see it in the corner here.  My mom, Debbie, Cat and Andra helped me wash and fold and sort through baby items in here on Sunday.  I'm feeling much better about what we have and what's ready now.  Brian also got out some baby stuff thinking he should put a few things together, but as you can see, the swing and the pack n play are just sitting in this room in their boxes.  Too much to do, too little time!  Poor Bri Bri is worn out.  He's done so much.
 The guest room!  Love the paint job.  Cat and Andra were kind enough to put the linens on the bed.  We need to rearrange the furniture in here as it's not a huge room and we still have a bookcase in the garage that needs to go in here.  However, the furniture Brian refinished and painted white earlier this spring looks great in here!
 Which then takes us to the nursery.  Everyone keeps asking, "is your baby's room all set up?!" and I chuckle.  Ha, no.  So far, we have a bookshelf and a hamper in here.  And a ceiling fan/light still in the box.  The shutters guy gave me a quote for plantation shutters in here, too....I need to decide tonight.  Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.
 We did get the closet organizer installed.  Thanks to my FIL for working on that on Sunday.  Soon, I can fill the closet.  Once the crib and changing table are set up, we can start getting baby stuff put away. 
 Speaking of baby stuff, where is it all, you ask?!  It's in the third bedroom, just hanging out, waiting patiently to be put away.  Piles and piles of it.  My mom ran to BRU for me yesterday and made a few quick returns/exchanges and picked up our crib mattress so we were able to take advantage of the huge Memorial Day sale.  All I need now is a mattress pad.
 The guest bathroom needs a lot of cosmetic work and Brian and I decided we'd gradually handle that ourselves rather than paying someone to do it.  It's not urgent work, luckily.  Jess came over yesterday to help a bit and she hung my new shower curtain which I think makes a heck of a difference already!  Next up?  Paint, new mirror, new light fixture, new wax ring for the toilet and some blinds!  Jess also unpacked a lot in our office and put the shelves back on the walls, we're getting there!
 Boxes, boxes everywhere!  Here's a snap shot of our hallway to give you an idea of what the place is looking like.  We moved a console table under the stairs and it fits nicely.  Also, we have a ton of boxes that need to be broken down and listed on Craigslist as free so someone comes and takes them off of our hands.  Brian did take the car seat out of the box and it's sitting here ready to be installed in our car.  Doesn't the hallway look nice and bright with the new paint?  We can't thank Brian's dad, Tim enough for the hours he slaved over at our house painting and painting and painting.  It would never be in the condition it's in without his help!  Luckily, we're almost done painting.  Or so I think.....we need to paint the master bath, the half bath, do some touch up work from the move, patch work in the kitchen and dining room from nails and screws and the upstairs bath. 
I plan to continue to tell our story and post new pics as major progress is made.  Keep checking back!  I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow so perhaps I'll have something fun to share on Baby Rogers!

1 comment:

Anthony and Katie Green said...

Holy Macaroni!! Ya'll have done sooo much in such a short time, the house looks amazing and I know you are so excited to get moved in. Love both bathrooms, love the shower curtain in the second bathroom, LOVE the kitche, love the new washer/dryer and pretty blue color in your bedroom! That's awesome! Keep us posted on the progress!