Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 2, 2011

Busy Weekend Post # 2: The Hospital

Unfortunately, after the hectic Saturday I had with the new house and pushing myself too far, I landed myself in the hospital on Saturday night into Sunday morning.  I had a bit of an episode with the pregnancy, but the good news is that baby is doing perfectly and I am healthy, as well (if you want to know more, just ask, but I'll save the general blog readers from that for now).  The bad news is that I am now on modified bed rest indefinitely.  What does this mean, you ask?  Well, it means that I can really only get up from sitting down or laying down to use the bathroom, get something to eat, take a quick shower and get something to drink.  No driving, no errands, no standing for long periods of time, no dog walking, no gym, no grocery shopping, no laundry, no vacuuming, no going to work.  Luckily, I can work remotely.  Not so luckily, we have a ton to do in the next month with the new house so Brian has just got had his "honey-do" list tripled.

Here's a little snapshot of my lovely hospital bands....one for my drug allergies, one for my admittance info.  I've never stayed in the hospital before.  We can go ahead and mark "hospital tour" off of our baby to do list, now.  I headed to the hospital OB Triage around midnight on Saturday night and was admitted and put in a Labor & Delivery room by 2am.  They hooked up Baby Rogers to an external fetal heart rate monitor and gave me a shot to help Baby's lungs develop quickly in the event he/she comes earlier than planned.  The monitor was very reassuring and basically just told us how great the baby is doing - although, the heart rate wives tale is now indicating that Baby Rogers is a he!  We'll see if that's true.  Luckily, I haven't had any signs of early labor (contractions, dilating, etc.) at all.  The steroids shot for baby's lungs was 100% precautionary - and it's only for the lungs, no Popeye the Sailor Baby for us.  The doctor reassured us that if (hopefully when!) baby goes to full term, there is no harm in having had the steroids shot.  The on call doctor and the nurse told me I'd have a full ultrasound in the morning and advised me to try to get some rest.
 I was so glad to find that my doctor was the on call doctor on Sunday morning and she came in with a big smile on her face and said "So you had a bleed!  Alright, let's get you up to ultrasound and confirm everything is a-okay and discharge you so you can go home and make it to your baby shower!".  I really love my doctor and it was so reassuring to talk to her.
We headed up to ultrasound and got to see lots and lots of Baby Rogers - doing great!  Lots of movement.  Baby is measuring 4 lbs., 6 oz. and looking perfect.  We actually got a great profile picture, too.  My placenta is still low, but slowly but surely moving away from my cervix.  This could have been the cause for the bleed.  One of three suggested hypotheses.  The doctor took a look and sent us on our merry way with orders to be on modified bed rest and told me to have fun at my baby shower :)  We had to head back last night and get my second steroid shot for baby's lungs, but otherwise I was glad that the baby is great, I am fine and we didn't have to cancel my baby shower, only push it back a couple of hours (more on that in Blog Post # 3)
 So now that Brian is on ultra husband and daddy-to-be duty, he stopped by Costco on the way home to buy a few food items and he surprised me with this beautiful bouquet of flowers.  I love them - the colors are so pretty and there are lilies and gerbera daisies, 2 of my favorite types of flowers.
I'm only on day 2 of modified bed rest and I'm already going a little stir crazy.  Luckily, I got this neat lap tray for Christmas and we finally busted it out of its packaging to start using.  I used it all day to work from and then this evening, I set up a thank you note station for writing baby shower thank yous.  Some of the benefits of being on bed rest is that I'm getting lots of thank yous taken care of, handling overdue email and phone correspondence, and of course catching up on TV and snuggling with my pooch.  Riley is digging the unexpected quality time, I know it.

The moral of my long story is that we are all doing fine health wise, but we had a little scare.  Now, I have a lot of idle time on my hands and a bit of anxiety over the move - the packing, the prepping, the unpacking, the painting, the moving, etc.  I get a free pass, but if you know me well, the control freak in me does not want a free pass!  But, of course, I'll be following doctor's orders and baking this baby for as long as possible as we tick off the remaining 54 days until our due date.

2 comments:

Anthony and Katie Green said...

This post made me cry, not real sure why, I guess I am just worried about you!! Calling you soon!

Unknown said...

Very attractive and effective blog is created by the blog owner I like the way of present his view with visitors. I would like to come on this blog again and again. hospital trays, instrument tray