Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Recent Reading Catch Up

It's been a while since I posted my recent reading list.  Aside from my week by week pregnancy book and my breastfeeding book, I've been reading "fun" books, too.  Unfortunately, nothing fantastic, though.
I really enjoyed Frey's first book, A Million Little Pieces, despite his controversial Oprah appearance.  Novel or memoir, it was good reading.  Too bad, in my humble opinion, Bright Shiny Morning does not follow suit.  This was written in an odd style and the story just jumped around too much for me between too many characters.  I wasn't a fan and am glad I can move on to to the next book. 
 I'd heard good things about this book, Girls in Trucks, but again was disappointed.  I had the thoughts of "so what?  what's the plot?" running through my head during the entire book.  I had high expectations for this book, thinking it might be similar to The Help, but it was nothing like it.  Not the storyline, not the style, not the characters, etc. 
My mother-in-law lent me this next book, Daughter's Keeper, and I definitely enjoyed it.  However, I found the behaviors and actions of the main two characters infuriating at times.  It was interesting, though, to read a book set in the Berkeley/Oakland area having some familiarity with the neighborhoods.  Also a very interesting story line that keeps you on your toes, wanting to know what's going to happen next. 
I'm a big Jodi Picoult fan so of course I ordered a hardback copy of her newest novel, Sing You Home.  It addresses some controversial topics and challenging situations (infertility, child custody, whether or not an embryo is a life, same sex adoption, born again Christians, etc.).  This was a good read, but certainly not Picoult's best.  If anyone is interested in borrowing, I'd recommend the book and happily lend it out.

No comments: