Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Time flies...

....when you're busy loving your baby girl!

Gemma turned 3 weeks on Saturday - we can't believe it.  She is growing up so quickly!  We had a doctor's appointment today to get her last silver nitrate treatment on her cord (Yeah, that sucker is still hanging around!  It just doesn't want to dry up and fall off!) and she weighed in at a whopping 8 lbs, 10 oz.  She's growing, growing, growing because she loves eating, eating, eating (just like mommy!).  At least she's an efficient little nurser.
 We had a busy week with a few outings...the doctor said we could take her anywhere not crowded and advised we keep her covered up or close to us and not to let anyone touch her.  So, we went to Costco with her in the baby carrier (Freehand Baby Carrier - pictured below).  It was a success!  She was snug, sleeping against my chest and no one tried to touch her or get too close.  By the way, after lots of research and hemming and hawing, I decided on this particular baby carrier because it can be used from newborn (8 lbs) to toddler size.  Whereas, several other types/models of baby carriers are either for small babies or large babies/toddlers and they are pricey so I'm hoping this ONE carrier will do the job and save me from having to purchase multiple.  Our first experience was a good one.
We also went to the mall (during the middle of the day during the week to avoid crowds) and did some exchanging/baby clothes shopping.  Gemma is a naughty little shopper, doesn't know when to stop!  She got a bunch of cute dresses and outfits - at least she stuck to the clearance racks.

We had a bit of a "diapering episode" earlier this week.  I've been changing her on our bed during the middle of the night and when we're hanging in the bedroom and I had been just laying down a little receiving blanket underneath her to change her.  Well, on Tuesday, I did this and unfortunately little Gemma peed and pooped while I was changing her and of course it all soaked through the stupid receiving blanket and through my fitted sheet and onto our mattress pad which resulted in lots of laundry.  I knew I was risking it every time I changed her using only the thin receiving blanket...ugh, it was only a matter of time.  Alas, I went on Amazon and searched "waterproof change pad" and found this awesome new favorite baby item (pictured above) - Kushies Waterproof Change Pad.  It's flannel on one side (like a receiving blanket!), but waterproof on the other.  Perfect.  I love it.  And it was only $10, too. 
Although Gemma is sad to see the rest of her cord go (not really), she's super excited for a REAL submerged bath for the first time tomorrow.  She's been loving her sponge baths, but she totally digs having her hair washed so I know she's going to love bath time.  She was so alert and calm and peaceful looking after her sponge bath on Saturday so I took this photo to capture the moment.  Love my baby girl!