Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

I Scream, You Scream...

We all scream for ICE CREAM!
A few weeks ago I was inspired to put our Ice Cream Maker to use, since we've only used it once since we got it as a wedding gift and the ice cream didn't turn out so well. I searched the Internet high and low for a good recipe, but settled on an Alton Brown recipe from an episode of Good Eats which I watched a while back.
First, I melted the chocolate with the cream (yes, this was not a light recipe) and the malted milk powder (mmmm!).
Then, I mixed up the custard (egg and sugar).
After that, I tempered the custard with the chocolate cream and cooled it in an ice bath until it was at least 40 degrees. Why was I so specific and diligent with this? I think the first ice cream attempt a couple years ago was a failure because I didn't let the mixture cool enough.

Then, I turned on the ol' Ice Cream machine...but not until the freezing cylinder sat in the freezer over night.
After about 20 minutes, the ice cream started to form and that's when I put the chopped Whoppers in....I love Malts and so I tried to recreate the flavor. Yum, yum!

We quite enjoyed the homemade ice cream. Next, I'm looking for a good frozen yogurt or low fat ice cream recipe....any to share?

No comments: