Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Baby Food Creations

I've been making a lot of Gemma's baby food since she started on solids.  We've gone through lots of purees, but she's now prefering menu choices with more texture and more flavor.  So, I've been perusing baby food cookbooks, pinterest, blogs, etc. to gather ideas.
 One of her faves is broccoli, cauliflower, cheese, brown rice.  See, one of my favorites is brocolli cheddar rice so I thought, hey, why can't Gemma love something similar?  So, I set out to create it.  I started with dry brown rice (not the instant kind).  I boiled that up.
 Then, I washed and chopped some fresh broccoli and cauliflower and put it in a pot on the stove with a little water to steam.
 When it was all cooked up, I dumped it all in the food processor (ah, amazing wedding gift) and ground it all up into a lovely baby mush.  I also added a modest amount of shredded cheddar cheese.  I then divided it into baby food ice cube food trays to freeze for future use.
It came out a little thicker than Gemma can comfortably handle, so I add a little milk (breast or whole cow's) each time I take a frozen cube of it out of the freezer for her to eat.  She's a huge fan.  It's healthy and flavorful!  A few other favorites - Beef Stew (just the regular old recipe in the crock pot, then I ladled some into the food processor and mashed it up for her and froze a few portions), Bean Puree (white cannellini beans, sauteed zucchini, leeks and tomatoes), and Sweet Potato Chicken (sweet potatoes, chicken, rosemary all sauteed up and pureed in the blender). 

1 comment:

Anthony and Katie Green said...

Man, I wish you could cook for Hazel! Poor thing was born to the worst mommy cook. That all sounds delish! Gemma is so stinkin cute!