Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Soup-a-loop!

Last week, the rain and cold weather called for some soup making. Lentils sounded yummy and healthy. So I unburied my Better Homes & Garden Biggest Book of Slow Cooker Recipes and tried a new recipe: Lentil-Veggie Soup. Check it out:

I doubled the recipe to freeze some for lunch and I also made some cornbread - yum, yum.
1 cup dry lentils
1 cup chopped carrots (2 medium)
1 cup chopped celery (2 stalks)
1 cup chopped onion (2 medium)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tspn dried basil
1/2 tspn dried oregano
1/4 tspn dried thyme
1 bay leaf
2 14 oz cans of vegetable or chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
1 1/2 cups water
1 14 1/2 can Italian-style stewed tomatoes
Rinse the lentils. In a 3 1/2 to 4 quart slow cooker, place the lentils, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, thyme and bay leaf. Stir in broth, water and undrained tomatoes. Cover; cook on low heat for 12 hrs or on high heat for 5-6 hrs. Discard bay leave.
Yum, yum! Next time, I think I'll add some sliced sausage.

1 comment:

Lisa Cotter said...

This looks delicious Gina! I think I might have to try it :)